Thursday, July 2, 2009

Entitlement

Why are Evangelical Christians (often labeled as the Religious Right) frequently regarded as being motivated by hatred? Being of that persuasion myself, I have wonder what justice there is in this. It would be nice to put it all down to media distortion and people reacting to our disagreement with their lifestyles, but this is perhaps a little too easy. I have unfortunately seen, heard and read of too many cases of Christians living up to the stereotype for me to be able to just shrug it off. Why do those who claim to represent a God of love often react with vitriol.

I have a suggestion. Could it be that, because our beliefs have in former times, at least in the United States, been held in respect, we have come to regard this as an entitlement. We see it as our right and react with anger when people do not respond to us in this way. But Jesus said not to be surprised if the world hates us (John 15:18-19). Nowhere in Scripture are we given the idea that if we follow Christ everyone will respect us and we can live a comfortable life (see John 16:1-4).

I believe it is time for Christians in the United States to let go of the past. I am convinced we can not go back, only go forward. I believe we must accept the fact that we are Christians in a pagan nation and rebuild from there. And I believe we must do it based not on a sense of entitlement, but based on confidence in the One who said that He (not we) would build His church (Matthew 16:18). I do not want to minimize the power of God, who is capable of changing the situation quickly if He chooses, but I am convinced we need to be willing to start from the ground up and be in it for the long haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment