Friday, January 29, 2016

A Voice from the Past - Cyril of Jerusalem

But some one will say, If the Divine substance is incomprehensible, why then dost thou discourse of these things? So then, because I cannot drink up all the river, am I not even to take in moderation what is expedient for me? Because with eyes so constituted as mine I cannot take in all the sun, am I not even to look upon him enough to satisfy my wants? Or again, because I have entered into a great garden, and cannot eat all the supply of fruits, wouldst thou have me go away altogether hungry?

Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures, Lecture VI, 5, (translated by Edwin Hamilton Gifford, Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, Philip Schaff and Henry Wace, T & T Clark and Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, 1996, Second Series, Vol. VII, p. 34)

How far can we understand God? Where should we draw the limits?

No comments:

Post a Comment