Friday, May 27, 2016

A Voice from the Past - Johm Chrysostom

He descended not from the Cross, not because He could not, but because He would not. For Him whom the tyranny of death restrained not, how could the nails of the Cross restrain?

John Chrysostom, 347-407 AD, Homily IV on 1 Corinthians, 3 (translated by Rev Talbot Chambers, Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, Philip Schaff, Hendricksen Publishers, 2012, First Series Vol. 12, p. 17)

Why is it important that Christ's death on the cross was voluntary? How should it affect how we live our lives?

5 comments:

  1. On the cross He showed us both his humanity and divinity. In doing so He set for us an example of how to live. In a sense, life is all about voluntary suffering>.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree with the importance of voluntary suffering. I think it is a good thing to suffer something like pancreatic cancer and bear it well. But the real test is when you can choose to do something for the benefit of someone else and choose to go through with it even though it means suffering.

      Delete
  2. Not sure that I understand what you are saying Mike. My wife suffers involuntarily with a disabling disease. I choose to suffer voluntarily with with her. I think that most (all?) voluntary suffering is for the sake of another. But I may be misunderstanding what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know where I was was unclear. I was saying undergoing involuntary suffering with trust in God is of some value. But undergoing involuntary suffering is much more valuable. I did not see myself as fundamentally disagreeing with your original position.

      Delete
    2. That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

      Delete