Wednesday, January 21, 2015

What Might Have Been

One of the great weaknesses we have is worrying about what might have been. It is easy to fall into the attitude that if only I had made that choice, things would have been different. But we are told that God is at work in our life to accomplish His purposes (Ephesians 2:10; 1:11; Romans 8:28). Now if there are particular sins we have committed, we need to repent of them (Proverbs 28:13; 1 John 1:9; 2 Corinthians 7:10). But even then, we need to put it behind us and go on (Philippians 3:12-16; Hebrews 12:1,2; 1 John 2:1,2). We need to go forward based on trust in God, not our capabilities (Proverbs 3:5,6; Psalms 37:3-6; 127:1,2). I am not saying we should not make well thought-out decisions when going forward or ask what things in our lives now may be worth changing. But I do not think we should be burdened with guilt over what we might have done. I know myself that I can continually worry about what I should have done. We need to put those things in the hands of God and go forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment