Friday, June 17, 2016

A Voice from the Past - Luther

But if my salvation was worth so much to Christ that He had to die for my sins, then my works and the righteousness of the Law are vile - in fact, nonexistent - in comparison with such an inestimable price. For I cannot buy with a pittance something that cost many thousands of golden talents. Now the Law - not to mention far lesser things - with all its works and righteousness is only a pittance in comparison with Christ, by whose death and resurrection  my death has been conquered, and righteousness and eternal life have been granted to me.

Martin Luther, 1483-1546, Lectures on Galatians 1535, 2:21 (Luther's Works, Jaroslav Pelikan, editor, Concordia Publishing House, 1963, Vol. 26, p. 183).

What does the price paid say about the value of our salvation? What does this say about the adequacy of our good works?

No comments:

Post a Comment