Sunday, July 26, 2009

Victor's Query


If I am more than a conqueror (Romans 8:37), why do I not always feel victorious? I realize that being victorious does not mean I will have no problems. Jesus assures me of that (John 16:33). But Scripture repeatedly assures me I am the victor (Romans 8:37, 2 Corinthians 2:14, 1 John 5:4, 5). What does this mean?

There are those who would say that there is something I need to do to obtain the victory. Yet as I look at Scripture (see verses above), I do not find that there is any implication that victory for the believer is conditional. (There is controversy about the overcomer passages in the letters in Revelation 2-3, but I am convinced that obscure passages of Scripture should be explained by clear ones.)

Or maybe the problem is we do not believe we are victors. I believe this is at least a part of the truth. If we do not believe we are victors, we will be much less likely to live like it and feel like it. But I believe there is more to it then this. I believe the victory promised in Scripture is a victory from God's perspective. We are told that we are God's workmanship, created to carry out His purposes (Ephesians 2:10), and that He is working all things together for good to conform us to the image of Christ (Romans 8:28-30). Life is like an adventure story; while the protagonist (us) may be in a tight spot (driving off a cliff, about to be eaten by cannibals, surrounded by enemy soldiers), the writer (God) is making the whole story and knows we will triumph.

We look at the present moment and feel beaten down; God looks at the whole story and proclaims us victorious. Let us therefore live our lives in view of the fact that we have already won. When Christ said, "It is finished," the real war was over, and we have become conquerors with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment