Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Danger of Expectations

I have found that one of the great road blocks to real community among Christians is unrealistic expectations. We want to find a perfect or community to be part of. Now God does call us to cultivate community (Hebrews 10:24,25; Philippians 2:1,2; Colossians 3:12-14). But we must remember we are sinners (Romans 3:23; Jeremiah 17:9; Isaiah 64:6) saved by God's grace (Ephesians 2:8,9; Romans 4:4,5; Philippians 3:9). Also, while God is at work within us to change us, we are still people in process and have a long way to go to reach perfection (Philippians 3:12-16; Galatians 5:17; 2 Corinthians 3:18). And unrealistic expectations can be the greatest destroyer of community. So we need to help each other along, rather than standing in judgment when people fall short of perfection (Hebrews 12:12,13; Romans 15:1,2; Galatians 6:1-5). For we all still have a long way to go.

6 comments:

  1. Paying people (i.e. clergy) seems to automatically create expectations. When I hire a plumber I expect a level of professionalism and skill. His cost is not secret and compensation is very transparent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not against paying paying leaders (I don't believe in clergy), but I see it Scripturally as a honor for a job well done (1 Timothy 5:17,18 and not payment for specified services like a plumber. I see a basic difference in attitude here. (Unfortunately they are commonly looked at like plumbers.)

      I think it would help here if leadership were brought up through the ranks in the congregation they are part of, rather then being sent off to school and expected to come back as spiritual leaders. But I have seen problems with that approach too, if it is not done right.

      Delete
  2. I am not against paying those who lead, preach and teach. My point was that those who lead the church are held to a high level of professionalism, skill and transparency. Members of the local church should know how much leaders are compensated and should have a means to evaluate their leaders. It is an issue of accountability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally agree with that, but I think we also need to avoid the opposite extreme. There is a danger of pastors being turned turned out be the mere whims of their congregation. I would favor some kind of balance.

      Delete
  3. I think that transparency will bring balance. Everyone has expectations about their leaders and leaders about their followers. The problem is that these expectations are not communicated in a transparent way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree with that, but sometimes this also involves being honest with ourselves. I think a lot of times we have expectations we do not want to admit to ourselves we have and it is sometimes only in conflict that these come out.

      Delete