Wednesday, June 6, 2012

One Step at a Time

Re-Posted from "Meditations of a Charismatic Calvinist Who Does Not Speak in Tongues"

We often want God to show us what His will for our lives is in detail ahead of time. But I have found that God leads us one step at a time. Philip was involved in a great revival in Samaria when God sent him out into the desert to meet one man, the Ethiopian eunuch who God had prepared to hear the gospel  (Acts 8:26-40).  God led Paul through various places and forbade him to preach there until He finally told him he was to go to Macedonia (Acts 16:6-10). But later God led Paul back to one of the places He had originally forbidden him to go, and he stayed there two years (Acts 19:8-10). God often leads us in ways we do not expect, and sometimes it is not clear what He wants us to do. I know in my own life, while there have been times when I have experienced definite leading from the Lord, there have been many other times I was not sure what He wanted me to do next. Many times we need to simply trust God and wait on Him until He shows us where He wants us to go next (Proverbs 3:5,6; Isaiah 40:31; Psalms 25:5).

2 comments:

  1. Learning to wait on the Lord and listen to his voice is one of the harder lessons I have had to learn. And, I'm still learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This thought came to me this week:

    "Faith is what we need when we pray. Trust is what we need when we wait for the answer to prayer."

    Sometimes I think that life is all about walking in the light that we have until the light shines in a different place.

    ReplyDelete